Sunday 12 February 2012

Uncontracted Hira now international bowler


Auckland Aces bowler and new Black Cap Ronnie Hira. Photo / Getty Images

Auckland Aces bowler and new Black Cap Ronnie Hira. 

Ronnie Hira hopes his successful debut for New Zealand last night will see him selected against South Africa, but he's taking nothing for granted after a rollercoaster year.
The spinner picked up his maiden international wicket in the Black Caps' comfortable T20 win over Zimbabwe at Eden Park, an unexpected turn of events after Auckland decided against offering Hira a contract at the start of the summer.
With South Africa lurking around the corner, the left-armed Hira spots a chance to test himself against the best but, after the setback earlier in the summer, he knows little is guaranteed.
"I tend to just cruise along and take it as it comes, which is different for me because it hasn't been my attitude in the past," Hira said. "I'm quite keen to just continue that. I'm trying not to take too much for granted at the moment, just taking all the opportunities I can get."
He certainly took one last night. New Zealand won fairly handily in the end, by seven wickets, but the Zimbabwe batsmen showed some fight for the first time all tour to post a competitive total of 159 in the first innings.
Hira was easily the most economical of the Black Caps bowlers, with his four overs going for just 22 runs, and he secured a souvenir scalp in his final over by bowling out Shingi Masakadza. He could have had an earlier breakthrough, too, but Brendon McCullum missed a difficult stumping chance in Hira's first turn at the crease.
The 24-year-old Aucklander was pleased with his performance at his home park but kept it in context and quickly moved on to his next target.
"Yesterday was one of those situations where I was just trying to keep the runs to a minimum and maybe pick up a wicket - that was a bonus. I just enjoyed my time out there last night, and if I get a crack on Tuesday I'll be hoping for the same."
Tuesday in Hamilton is the second Twenty20 match against Zimbabwe, and Hira's final chance to stake his claim for a spot to take on the Proteas. South Africa will provide a stern challenge across all formats, beginning with the hit-and-giggle in Wellington on Friday, and it's a challenge Hira will relish.
"I played against Jacques Kallis at the Champions League and it was a pretty good experience for me, and there's another 14 of those quality players coming down so it'll be a lot tougher. I'm just trying to go with the flow."
The mentality, born out of the contract disappointment, certainly seems to be working so far. Despite playing for only match payments after three years of contracted security, Hira was the standout bowler in the Auckland Aces' successful HRV Cup campaign.
He led the wicket-taking standings with 14, his 5.85 economy rate was second to only Kane Williamson, and he was the top bowler in New Zealand Cricket's MVP rankings for the competition.
Whatever way you look at it, Hira's was a deserved promotion. He said the secret to maintaining that domestic form under the bright lights of international cricket was doing nothing different.
"That's the only message that [New Zealand coach] John Wright has been telling me, that I've been doing well for Auckland and just because I've got here doesn't mean I have to change. I just went in with the same sort of plans that I had in Auckland for the HRV Cup, and it worked yesterday."
And if it works again on Tuesday, Hira is likely to play some part against the might of South Africa.
Source:http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10785099

No comments:

Post a Comment