Thursday 1 March 2012

Three more years and I'm out... Khan reveals plans to quit boxing after he turns 28


Amir Khan has revealed his plans to retire from boxing at the age of 28.
That means the 25-year-old two-time world champion aims to hang up his gloves in just three years.
Hanging up his gloves: Amir Khan has revealed he will be retiring from boxing in three years, at the age of 28
Hanging up his gloves: Amir Khan has revealed he will be retiring from boxing in three years, at the age of 28
Khan, who controversially lost his WBA and IBF lightweight titles to Lamont Peterson last December in Washington, spoke about his thirst to become world champion again.
'I’m not even at my peak yet. I’m already a two-time world champion, winning it again is not a problem.'
But he added: 'By 28 I’ll have done everything I want in boxing and I can sit back, chill and get fat.'
Khan will step up his preparations for his eagerly-awaited re-match with American Peterson, who he faces in Las Vegas on May 19 and has vowed to win that fight 'convincingly'.
In love: The 25-year-old has just become engaged to 20-year-old New York student Faryal Makhdoom last month
In love: The 25-year-old has just become engaged to 20-year-old New York student Faryal Makhdoom last month
Smouldering: The boxer relaxes on a chair during the shoot
Smouldering: The boxer relaxes on a chair during the shoot
But despite being a tough boxer, Amir admitted he was scared of bugs.
Out now: the April issue of Esquire
He said: 'I don’t like spiders. If I see one in my bedroom I have to call my whole family and , even when they do take it out, I won’t sleep in that room for a couple of days or I’ll sleep at my parents.'
The boxer became engaged to 20-year-old New York student Faryal Makhdoom last month.
The couple made it official by exchanging rings in front of 1,000 of their nearest and dearest at a lavish engagement party.
They celebrated with a £150,000 bash at the Bolton Wanderers' Reebok Stadium.
Friends including Ricky Hatton watched as Amir presented his wife-to-be with a £100,000 platinum ring encrusted with three staggering diamonds.
In return, beautiful Faryal gave her beau with an equally bling platinum ring.
Despite his sporting success, Amir told Esquire magazine that he wouldn't want his children taking up the sport - hoping they will instead turn out fr his beloved football team Bolton.
'They can train, but I wouldn’t want them to go into a fight. I don’t know how my parents do it and, actually, my mum can’t do it anymore. 
'My kids can be football players instead.'
Read the full Amir Khan interview in the April issue of Esquire - on sale tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment