Saturday 28 January 2012

Mums relive their ordeals after Amanda Holden's Caesarein trauma

amanda holden Image 2
amanda holden 
TV STAR Amanda Holden is recovering in hospital after haemorrhaging badly during the birth of her daughter.
Amanda is said to be on the mend after the massive blood loss left her on the critical list.
But the 40-year-old is still too weak to hold daughter Hollie Rose.
Amanda, who also has a six-year-old daughter, Lexi, suffered a miscarriage in May 2010, while a son was stillborn last year.
During the birth of Hollie Rose on Monday, Amanda was diagnosed with placenta previa, a serious but unusual condition that means the placenta at placen grows the bottom of the womb, blocking the birth canal, instead of the top of the womb as it normally does. She had to have an emergency Caesarian.
She is said to be over the worst - but the trauma of her birth resonated with all parents.
None more so than other mums who have been through the same terrifying ordeal of massive blood loss and post natal surgery.
We meet Scots mums who have faced life threatening trauma after a birth.
With the smiles of their babies to drive them on, they fought back to full health and have offered messages of support to the TV personality.
I collapsed at home
baby trauma feature Image 2
Amanda Holden's emergency situation made Dunfermline mum Lucy Stockham shudder as she realised the telly star had gone through almost exactly the same series of traumas she had experienced.
Lucy, 34, had four tragic pregnancies before giving birth to healthy and happy son Scott, now four, and then falling pregnant with daughter Millie, who is now two.
While she was expecting Scott, her doctors had used a cervical cerclage (stitching) to help prevent another miscarriage.
Consultants were preparing to use the same stitching technique when Lucy was carrying Millie. But before they could carry out the procedure, Lucy suffered heavy bleeding and was diagnosed with lifethreatening condition placenta previa, which Amanda suffered from earlier this week. Thankfully, the early onset of the condition is not as serious as when it occurs at birth, such as in Amanda's case.
Lucy was consigned to total bed rest in hospital for the rest of her term and, at 26 weeks, Millie was born weighing just 2lb 2oz.
Having lost three pregnancies to miscarriage, and lost a fourth child just minutes after she had been born, Lucy and husband David were distraught but Millie pulled through.
Days later, the family were plunged back into crisis when Lucy suffered a massive haemorrhage and was rushed into hospital in Kirkcaldy for emergency surgery, as part of the placenta had been left inside her.
She said: "When I had the heavy bleeding, I thought I was losing the baby and was amazed when I hadn't.
"When they told me about the placenta previa, I thought, 'This is so unfair'. I've had just about everything you can have go wrong now, just like Amanda seems to have had.
"A week after the birth, I collapsed at home and was fainting all over the place. I had lost lots of blood, and had to have an operation."
The full time mum added: "Scott and Millie are both doing great now - driving me mad - but I do remind myself where they have come from when I'm screaming at them and remember just how lucky I am to have ended up with two healthy children.
"When I heard about Amanda this week, I thought she was just like me and I knew what she was going through. You think you have had enough problems and then she nearly dies."
I knew I had a problem as I had to sign a form
baby trauma feature Image 1
Clare Johnston had such a stressful delivery with first son Oliver seven years ago that when it came to her second birth, she was determined it would be perfect.
But within hours of delivering gorgeous boy Sam, the Scots author and journalist was having emergency surgery and facing six weeks of recovery when she should have been nursing her son.
Following a negative experience with stitches after her first labour, Clare, 38, from Edinburgh, wanted a doctor to perform the procedure after Sam, now five, was born.
But while being stitched, she began to bleed.
Clare said: "I was euphoric because we were both well and my husband and I were chatting away while the doctor was working. The next thing, a big spray of blood shot up and hit him. He worked on it really quickly to stop the blood, and then said it'd be fine and continued with the stitching.
"He went away, and the midwife said I was to let them know if I was feeling unwell. A few minutes later, I started to feel very cold. When we called the midwife, she had a look under the sheets and then ran out of the room.
"I remember very little from this point as I was rushed off to surgery, I knew I had a problem when they made me sign a form and one of the nurses was rubbing my hand as if there was something really wrong. Then they put me under.
"My husband David had been taken to the high dependency unit with Sam to wait for me.
At one point, a nurse appeared and when he asked how I was, the nurse told him I wasn't out of danger yet. His reply was he didn't know I was in danger. He was told I had lost a lot of blood but they were doing their best.
"Within half an hour, I was wheeled back and I had lost a litre and half of blood. They had given me a couple of transfusions and I stayed in hospital for a few days. At home, I felt breathless. It turned out they hadn't given me enough blood."
Clare then took six weeks to recover from the blood loss and was too weak to breast feed.
She said: "I felt cheated of my natural birth experience, and I'm guessing that Amanda Holden would have been very focused on having this one go well and it's a terrible shame it didn't.
"When I read her story, it really took me back, the horror of the situation when you are losing blood. You are eerily calm because you are so weak, but you know something is terribly wrong and you have to work hard to get your strength back."
Clare said the best way to get through such a trauma is to stay positive, adding: "The main thing that got me over it was that I was fine and so was Sam.
Source:http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/real-life/2012/01/28/mums-relive-their-ordeals-after-amanda-holden-s-caesarein-trauma-86908-23724175/

No comments:

Post a Comment