Monday 16 January 2012

TV host Kate Thornton on her anorexia hell


Survivor ... Kate Thornton reveals her battle against the illness
Survivor ... Kate Thornton reveals her battle against the illness

TV presenter Kate Thornton has opened up about her teenage battle with anorexia.

Kate went on to tell how she felt enough time had passed since her illness to take part in the documentary.
But she admitted: "There was a 20-year distance between me and my recovery. And I have to say I completely misjudged it. I found it really hard. It is the hardest thing I have ever done.
"I can't watch it. I was looking away then when that clip was on. It is undignified, it's embarrassing, but it's happening all around us."
She added: "The moment you become a parent you feel this absolute responsibility and you look at the world differently. There have been some very interesting conversations with my parents as a result of the documentary.
The former Loose Women star, 38, talked about her illness ahead of a documentary charting her fight against it.
She told how her unhealthy obsession with her weight began after she was bullied about being fat at school.
And she revealed how she lived with the condition between the ages of 11 and 15.
The size ten mum of one will be seen facing up to uncomfortable memories from that time in the documentary.
She speaks to her brother and closest friends to find out what they remember about her from that time.
Kate is still horrified at the pain she caused her loved ones. And she told This Morning's Holly Willoughby and Phillip Schofield: "My mother still can't talk about it."
"It is a deceptive illness, a lonely illness and still one that's really difficult to fathom."
Brave ... Kate with Dr Adrienne Key and fellow sufferer Megan Rafferty, right
Brave ... Kate with Dr Adrienne Key and fellow sufferer Megan Rafferty, right
Rex
 Kate — who hosted The X Factor before Simon Cowell ditched her for Dermot O'Leary — appeared on the daytime show alongside fellow sufferer Megan Rafferty, 18. Megan also took part in the documentary.
The teenager revealed she became a professional liar during the height of her illness.
And she only realised the damage she was doing when her heart had become so weak her family had to cancel a joint holiday.
Megan, who was diagnosed at 14, said: "At that point I realised it affected everyone. I just thought it was my thing; I could do it really well. My heart was too weak for us to travel.
"They had to watch me 24 hours a day. I don't know how my mum and dad did it. I'm much better. My body has caught up, but I still need to tackle a few things."
Kate and Megan will feature in a Channel 5 documentary on Wednesday at 10pm called Kate Thornton — Anorexic: My Secret Past.
Battle ... Megan revealed the torment her family went through due to her illness
Battle ... Megan revealed the torment her family went through due to her illness
Source:http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/4064223/Kate-Thornton-news-TV-host-on-her-anorexia-hell.html

No comments:

Post a Comment