Tuesday 17 January 2012

Watson set for limited-overs return


Watson has been sidelined since the tour of South Africa two months ago due to hamstring and calf injuries.
The 30-year-old is nearing full fitness again but with the Test team firing without him, having clinched the four-match series 3-0 against India in Perth on Sunday, coach Mickey Arthur hinted Watson will be rested until the following limited-overs matches.
"We're wanting a fit and firing Shane Watson for the T20s and one-day series, and I'm pretty sure we're going to have that," Arthur said.
"Whether he plays in Adelaide or not, I'm not sure. But I do know that Shane Watson will be around our Twenty20 and one-day side.
"I don't see the need to change too much right now. I think we've got some really good momentum. We've had a lot of success with this squad."
In Watson's absence, Australia have seemingly stumbled across an opening partnership that may see him return down the order when he is eventually recalled. David Warner and Ed Cowan combined in a stand of 214 at the WACA Ground, to help pave the way to an innings-and-37-run win.
Warner smashed the equal fourth-quickest Test century on his way to 180 as he claimed man-of-the-match honours and underlined his potential as more than just a limited-overs player. In his eight Test innings so far, Warner has passed 20 three times - going on to score a century on two of those occasions.
"I've always said I'd like to be more consistent in all three forms that I'm playing," Warner said. "You might get runs today and miss out in the next game, but that's cricket. I'll keep working hard and backing myself.
"Hopefully this wasn't a one-off thing. It was my second Test hundred. I showed that I can play maturely as well in difficult situations [for his first Test century in Hobart]. Hopefully I can keep continuing with my form."

No comments:

Post a Comment